Frequently Asked Questions: Business in Oman
1) What are the procedures for obtaining statutory licenses/ permits?
All business should obtain the following 3 basic statutory permits/ licenses:
Other licenses maybe required depending on the nature of the business.
2) What is the Omani customs duty on imported commodities?
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) member countries have implemented a customs union by where most goods entering from outside the GCC would be subjected to a 5% customs duty across the GCC region instead of earlier country specific import tariff.
3) What are the customs entry points that should be considered as First Entry Points for foreign goods?
4) Is there personal/ sales income tax in Oman?
There is no personal tax. Income taxes are levied only on the income of a company or an establishment. There is value added tax (VAT) at a standard rate of 5% on goods and services with specific exemptions and zero ratings prescribed under Oman VAT law. Also, hotels and restaurants charge an additional 17% tax rate (5% municipality tax, 4% tourism tax and 8% service charge).
5) How do I register my company with the Tender Board?
P.O. Box 787, Postal Code 133, Muscat
Phone: +968 24402200 or 24602063 or 24402402
Fax: +968 24402404
Website: Tender board Oman
Companies can register with the Tender Board under the following four categories depending on their activities:
Companies should fulfill the following: